By Nitesh Dhanjani
This publication is a marvellous factor: an immense intervention within the coverage debate approximately details safety and a realistic textual content for individuals attempting to increase the situation.— Cory Doctorowauthor, co-editor of Boing Boing
A destiny with billions of hooked up "things" comprises enormous safety matters. This useful ebook explores how malicious attackers can abuse well known IoT-based units, together with instant LED lightbulbs, digital door locks, child screens, shrewdpermanent TVs, and attached cars.
If you’re a part of a workforce developing purposes for Internet-connected units, this consultant may help you discover safety recommendations. You’ll not just discover vulnerabilities in present IoT units, but additionally achieve deeper perception into an attacker’s tactics.
• learn the layout, structure, and safeguard problems with instant lights systems
• know how to breach digital door locks and their instant mechanisms
• learn safety layout flaws in remote-controlled child monitors
• assessment the protection layout of a collection of IoT-connected domestic products
• Scrutinize defense vulnerabilities in clever TVs
• discover study into defense weaknesses in shrewdpermanent cars
• Delve into prototyping strategies that tackle protection in preliminary designs
• research believable assaults situations in response to how humans will most probably use IoT units
Read or Download Abusing the Internet of Things: Blackouts, Freakouts, and Stakeouts PDF
Similar security books
Constructing a knowledge defense application that clings to the main of safeguard as a company enabler needs to be step one in an enterprise’s attempt to construct a good defense application. Following within the footsteps of its bestselling predecessor, details defense basics, moment variation offers details defense pros with a transparent realizing of the basics of safeguard required to handle the variety of concerns they're going to event within the box.
What an grand international we are living in! nearly whatever you could think could be researched, in comparison, well-known, studied, and in lots of circumstances, obtained, with the clicking of a mouse. the net has replaced our lives, placing an international of chance prior to us. regrettably, it has additionally placed an international of chance into the arms of these whose reasons are under honorable.
This publication constitutes the refereed court cases of the twenty eighth IFIP TC eleven foreign details protection and privateness convention, SEC 2013, held in Auckland, New Zealand, in July 2013. The 31 revised complete papers awarded have been conscientiously reviewed and chosen from eighty three submissions. The papers are equipped in topical sections on malware, authentication and authorization, community security/cryptography, software program safeguard, coverage compliance and responsibilities, privateness safety, probability research and defense metrics, social engineering, and safety management/forensics.
- Nessus, Snort, & Ethereal Power Tools: Customizing Open Source Security Applications (Jay Beale's Open Source Security Series)
- Science, Cold War and the American State, 1st Edition
- Wireless Hacking: Projects for Wi-Fi Enthusiasts: Cut the cord and discover the world of wireless hacks!
- Information Security Risk Management: Risikomanagement mit ISO/IEC 27001, 27005 und 31010 (Edition
) (German Edition)
- Stabilization, Safety, and Security of Distributed Systems: 16th International Symposium, SSS 2014, Paderborn, Germany, September 28 -- October 1, 2014. Proceedings (Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
Extra info for Abusing the Internet of Things: Blackouts, Freakouts, and Stakeouts
Good security mechanisms should not allow an arbitrary website to be able to force lights to turn off, even if its owner knows one of the whitelist tokens. WEAK PASSWORD COMPLEXITY AND PASSWORD LEAKS The hue website lets users control the lights in their homes remotely, as long as the users log in with valid credentials. As shown in Figure 1-7, the hue website requires only that passwords be at least six characters long. Users might be tempted to create easily guessable passwords, such as 123456 (in fact, studies have shown 123456 and password to be the most common passwords).
40 CHAPTER 2: ELECTRONIC LOCK PICKING—ABUSING DOOR LOCKS TO COMPROMISE PHYSICAL SECURITY When a guest inserts a card into the lock, the data on the card is decrypted using the sitecode. Next, the expiration date is checked to see if it is still valid. Finally, the keycode value is checked and the lock opens if it is within the look-ahead range. THE PROGRAMMING PORT A programming port, accessible using a DC adapter, is located at the bottom right of the lock. A portable programmer (PP) device is used to program the lock when it is installed and when batteries are replaced, which causes memory to reset.
EXPLOITING KEY-EXCHANGE VULNERABILITY Fouladi and Ghanoun found that the Z-Wave implementation had a severe vulnerability pertaining to initiating the original key-exchange protocol between a given lock and the controller. They found that even after the lock was paired wih a controller, they could transmit a keyexchange packet that caused the lock to accept a brand new shared key. 44 CHAPTER 2: ELECTRONIC LOCK PICKING—ABUSING DOOR LOCKS TO COMPROMISE PHYSICAL SECURITY The flaw here is that, once paired with the controller, the lock should check the current key in its electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM) and load the existing key if one exists.